Skip to main content

ISIS Forums

ZIMS Project

ZIMS Project > ISIS Forums > ZIMS User Forum > Enclosures--Where Past Meets New  

ZIMS User Forum

Modify settings and columns

View: 
Picture Placeholder: FBA_Member:gdnitenurse
FBA_Member:gdnitenurse
Enclosures--Where Past Meets New
I am wondering what the implications are if I start renaming all our enclosures from a linking/historical perspective with our old enclosure codes.

Our facilities department went through the entire zoo and measured and coded all the buildings and spaces within our zoo for a new computerized facilities program.  I would like to recode our enclosures to match the facilities codes and wondered what the impact would be?  I know there is a maintenance component within ZIMS which I haven't used yet but it would be good to have the two systems match as it relates to enclosure maintenance issues.

Deanna
Edited: 4/1/2011 9:14 AM
Picture: Joshua Courteau
Joshua Courteau

Greetings Deanna!

Yes, if you are a ZIMS user (as is the case in Calgary) you can change the enclosure as is needed.  Enclosure names are not linked to other data sources once you are migrated into ZIMS and this type of data (enclosures, life supports and components) is “Local View Only” meaning this data isn’t shared outside your institution.

Hope that helps! 

Thanks!

-Joshua Courteau

ISIS Training Manager training.isis.org

ISIS Community Portal Evangelist portal.isis.org

Email Me!

Skype Me!

www.isis.org

Posted At: Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:16 PM
Posted To: ISIS Forums - ZIMS User Forum
Conversation: Enclosures--Where Past Meets New
Subject: Enclosures--Where Past Meets New

I am wondering what the implications are if I start renaming all our enclosures from a linking/historical perspective with our old enclosure codes.

Our facilities department went through the entire zoo and measured and coded all the buildings and spaces within our zoo for a new computerized facilities program.  I would like to recode our enclosures to match the facilities codes and wondered what the impact would be?  I know there is a maintenance component within ZIMS which I haven't used yet but it would be good to have the two systems match as it relates to enclosure maintenance issues.

Deanna

Posted: 4/7/2011 11:41 AM
Picture Placeholder: FBA_Member:gdnitenurse
FBA_Member:gdnitenurse
Hi Josh:

Thanks for the reply and I appreciate the restraint of no arrows in the email:-).

Anyway, just so I can clarify how the enclosure system in ZIMS works, if I rename all our historic enclosures to the new system, how would I pull a report if I wanted to know what animals lived in that enclosure over time?  For example, I want to know what animals lived in CW1A (old system) but is now renamed LOC004-12-36 (new system) because there has been a disease outbreak within the enclosure and I want to know which animals may have been exposed during an extended period of time.  ZIMS may be smart but I don't think it can figure out that migrated enclosure data from ARKS is the same enclosure as the renamed ZIMS enclosure.

Make sense?

Deanna