Skip to main content

ISIS Forums

ZIMS Project

ZIMS Project > ISIS Forums > ZIMS User Forum > Clarification of Responsibility Transfer Type Terms  

ZIMS User Forum

Modify settings and columns

View: 
Picture Placeholder: FBA_Member:gdnitenurse
FBA_Member:gdnitenurse
Clarification of Responsibility Transfer Type Terms
When I am shipping out an animal, I am very nervous of the terms to click regarding the responsibility transfer type since there are still several institutions that are not using ZIMS; therefore, if mistakes are made, difficult to know if I still have access when the other user is not a ZIMS user.  So, if someone could clarify the terms since this is new to all of us, and the option that will end my ability to edit that animal's record after it has left our institution, that would be great:

Responsibility Transfer Upon Sending the Animal
Responsibility Transfer Upon Receiving the Animal
Responsibility Transfer on Date

In a nutshell, I don't want to lose the ability to edit the record (or have to cancel the disposition and enter the information all over again because I've chosen the wrong term).  Also, if I click on confirmed by receiver, does that end my ability to edit the record after the date the animal left.  The scenario I have is as follows:

We shipped 3 red river hogs to Europe; however, the hogs were quarantined at a separate institution (Wuppertal Zoo)  for 30 days prior to transferring to the receiving institution(Duisberg Zoo).  Because neither of these institutions are using ZIMS, it was suggested by ISIS that I dispose the animal physically to Wuppertal and then edit the ownership to Duisberg.

I'm okay with doing that but I want to ensure I do the proper steps first so I don't screw up and have to start all over again with the disposition.

Deanna Snell
Calgary Zoo

Edited: 3/24/2011 12:59 PM
Picture: Joshua Courteau
Joshua Courteau

Hi there Deanna,

Current Business Rules in ZIMS are not looking at the Responsibility Transfer rational for deciding who has edit rights for the record.  The actual authority over the record is managed by the ownership of the record.  If you send the animal with Physical and Ownership terms selected to an ISIS member, you retain edit capabilities for the record during the times your held/owned the record.  Moving forward, once the recipient ZIMS institution receives the record, they are the owner now…you cannot edit the record post that date of reception.  If you sent the animal and Physical only, you’d retain rights to the record as you are still the owner.

Presently in ZIMS, there can only be one Owner.

In the case of sending to a NON-ISIS member, because they will no be working with the record in ZIMS, you as the last recorded ISIS member/holder/owner of the record retain authority over the record of the animal record…even if you send it Physical and Ownership terms to the NON-ISIS member.  For the very reason you defined, no one is currently on the receiving end of that record so someone must maintain rights to the record.  The Subject Matter Experts who advised ISIS recommended the last holder of the record maintain pseudo-ownership of the disposed record.

I hope this helps answer your question!  If not, feel free to contact Support@isis.org with any specific records in question.

Thanks!

-Joshua Courteau

ISIS Training Manager training.isis.org

ISIS Community Portal Evangelist portal.isis.org

Email Me!

Skype Me!

www.isis.org

Posted At: Monday, March 21, 2011 4:07 PM
Posted To: ISIS Forums - ZIMS User Forum
Conversation: Clarification of Responsibility Transfer Type Terms
Subject: Clarification of Responsibility Transfer Type Terms

When I am shipping out an animal, I am very nervous of the terms to click regarding the responsibility transfer type since there are still several institutions that are not using ZIMS; therefore, if mistakes are made, difficult to know if I still have access when the other user is not a ZIMS user.  So, if someone could clarify the terms since this is new to all of us, and the option that will end my ability to edit that animal's record after it has left our institution, that would be great:

In a nutshell, I don't want to lose the ability to edit the record (or have to cancel the disposition and enter the information all over again because I've chosen the wrong term).  Also, if I click on confirmed by receiver, does that end my ability to edit the record after the date the animal left.  The scenario I have is as follows:

We shipped 3 red river hogs to Europe; however, the hogs were quarantined at a separate institution (Wuppertal Zoo)  for 30 days prior to transferring to the receiving institution(Duisberg Zoo).  Because neither of these institutions are using ZIMS, it was suggested by ISIS that I dispose the animal physically to Wuppertal and then edit the ownership to Duisberg.

I'm okay with doing that but I want to ensure I do the proper steps first so I don't screw up and have to start all over again with the disposition.

Deanna Snell

Calgary Zoo

Posted: 3/24/2011 1:46 PM
Picture Placeholder: Corinne Shaw
Corinne Shaw
Ok, now that just opened another whole set of questions for me...
If you loan out physical only- can the recieving institution make changes?
Once the animal ownership is transferred, can you make notes, changes etc for Prior to the transfer?  Let's say you come across a note or observation that you need to enter from when then animal was at your institution and you did not find it until after transfer was made..
Edited: 3/25/2011 4:43 PM
Picture: Joshua Courteau
Joshua Courteau

Hi there Corrine,

Yes, recipient would have edit rights, but not the authority to “grant ownership”.

When ownership is transferred, historic entries are allowed during the time frame your institution held the record.

Hope this helps!

-Joshua Courteau

Email Me!

Skype Me!

www.isis.org

Posted At: Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:47 PM

Ok, now that just opened another whole set of questions for me...

If you loan out physical only- can the recieving institution make changes?

Once the animal ownership is transferred, can you make notes, changes etc for Prior to the transfer?  Let's say you come across a note or observation that you need to enter from when then animal was at your institution and you did not find it until after transfer was made..

Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:59 PM

Hi there Deanna,

Current Business Rules in ZIMS are not looking at the Responsibility Transfer rational for deciding who has edit rights for the record.  The actual authority over the record is managed by the ownership of the record.  If you send the animal with Physical and Ownership terms selected to an ISIS member, you retain edit capabilities for the record during the times your held/owned the record.  Moving forward, once the recipient ZIMS institution receives the record, they are the owner now…you cannot edit the record post that date of reception.  If you sent the animal and Physical only, you’d retain rights to the record as you are still the owner.

Presently in ZIMS, there can only be one Owner.

In the case of sending to a NON-ISIS member, because they will no be working with the record in ZIMS, you as the last recorded ISIS member/holder/owner of the record retain authority over the record of the animal record…even if you send it Physical and Ownership terms to the NON-ISIS member.  For the very reason you defined, no one is currently on the receiving end of that record so someone must maintain rights to the record.  The Subject Matter Experts who advised ISIS recommended the last holder of the record maintain pseudo-ownership of the disposed record.

I hope this helps answer your question!  If not, feel free to contact Support@isis.org with any specific records in question.

Thanks!

-Joshua Courteau

Email Me!

Skype Me!

www.isis.org

Posted At: Monday, March 21, 2011 4:07 PM

Deanna Snell

Calgary Zoo